MANCHESTER, UK (May 19, 2019) - Four new athletes were today elected to serve on the World Taekwondo Athletes’ Committee for a four-year term from 2019-2023.
The new members were elected by their fellow athletes during the Manchester 2019 World Taekwondo Championships. It was the first time that World Taekwondo has held elections for its Athletes’ Committee and reflects the federation’s commitment to ensuring that the athlete voice continues to be represented in the governance of the sport.
The four elected athletes are:
- Jingyu WU (China) W-49kg
- Beijing 2008 & London 2012 Olympic Games - Gold
- 2009& 2011 World Championships - Gold
- 2019 World Championships - Silver
- Nikita GLASNOVIC (Croatia) W-57kg
- 2017 World Championships - Bronze
- Fujairah 2019 Grand Prix Final – Silver
- Benjamin HAINES (Great Britain) M-68kg
- 2017 Dutch Open – Silver
- Stephen LAMBDIN (USA) M+80kg
- 2019 US Open – Bronze
In order to ensure the Committee was globally balanced, no more than one athlete per country was able to be elected and male and female athletes had to be represented. Jordan’s Nadin Dawani and France’s Pascal Gentil continue to serve as co-chairs and sit as ex-officio members on the World Taekwondo Council.
- World Taekwondo Announces HQ Reshuffle
- Italy’s first World Champion Simone Alessio hoping for home glory at Rome Grand Prix