LIMA, Peru (October 2, 2016) - The 10th World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships in Lima, Peru, came to a close on Sunday with the First Lady of Peru, Nancy Lange Kuczynski, attending the final day’s action, which delivered a total of 10 gold medals to athletes from six different countries.
A total of 55 countries and 760 athletes took part in this year’s Championships – a record for the event – with the Republic of Korea topping the medals table.
MVP awards for recognized poomsae were won, in the male category, by Kwang Ho Park from the Republic of Korea and, in the female category, by Elif Aybuke Yilmaz from Turkey. For Park it was the second year in a row in which he has won the MVP award.
MVP awards for freestyle poomsae were won, in the male category, by Jeordan Dominguex from Philippines and, in the female category, by Anna Borysenko from Ukraine.
During her visit, the First Lady of Peru met with teams from different countries and had the opportunity to present a silver medal to Peruvian athlete Marcela Castillo Tokumori in the female individual under 30 division. Peru won one silver and three broze medals overall to finish.
The First Lady also met with WTF President Chungwon Choue to discuss the popularity of taekwondo throughout Peru. In the meeting she praised the Federation Deportiva Peruana de Taekwondo for organizing such a successful Championships.
President Chungwon Choue said:
“It was an honor to welcome the First Lady of Peru to our Poomsae Championships in Lima. After the triumph of this year’s Championships I hope that poomsae will be included on the sports program for the Pan American Games, just as it has been for the 2018 edition of the Asian Games. We have ambitions for poomsae to be part of the European Games and the All Africa Games in the future and we are continuing to work tirelessly to raise the sport’s profile in general.”
On the final day in Lima, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam, the Republic of Korea, Australia, Turkey and the Philippines all claimed gold medals.
The full results are listed below:
- In the recognized poomsae teams male’s junior division, Chinese Taipei defeated Mexico for the gold, with Iran and the USA winning bronze medals.
- Vietnam beat Turkey to gold in the female’s cadet division of the team competition, with Mexico and the USA winning bronze medals
- In the pairs cadet, the Republic of Korea claimed gold in a victory over China and the USA and Mexico took bronze.
- In the individual category, Hee-do Kim from the Republic of Korea won gold in the male’s under 65 division, while the USA’s Chi Duong won silver and Iran’s Ghorban Delshad and Great Britain’s Peter Johnson won bronze.
- In the female’s under 65 division, Australia’s Bronwyn Butterworth came top after defeating the USA’s Diana Hunt, with Marie France David from France and Catalina Hernandez-Ramos from Spain winning bronze.
- In the individual male’s junior competition, Ji-won Kim claimed the Republic of Korea’s third gold medal of the day ahead of Germany’s Shajan Sepanlou (silver), Turkey’s Muhammed Emir Yilmaz (bronze) and the USA’s Alex Lee (bronze).
- Turkey’s Elif Aybuke Yilmaz won gold in the individual female’s under 30 division, with Peru’s Marcela Castillo Tokumori coming second and Marjan Salahshouri from Iran and Claudia Cardenas from Ecuador both winning bronze.
- In the individual female’s junior division, it was Chieh-ren Hsiao from Chinese Taipei who took the gold after defeating Da-sol Kim from the Republic of Korea, with the USA’s Rikki Jao and Mexico’s Sofia Sepulveda claiming bronze.
- In the Freestyle event, Vietnam beat Turkey to win gold in the teams under 17 division, while Russia and the USA won bronze.
- In the individual males’s over 17 category, Jeordan Dominguez from the Philippines claimed gold ahead of Vietnam’s Dinh Khoi Nguyen (silver), Colombia’s Leandro Augusto Rodriguez (bronze) and Turkey’s Oguzhan Mustafa Ornek (bronze).
▶ DAY 4 (October 2,2016)
▶ Final Result (Total)
- 1st Place Free Style Mixed Team Under 17: VIETNAM TAEKWONDO_10th World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships
- 1st Place Free Style Over 17 Individual Male: Jeordan DOMINGUEZ (PHI)_10th World Taekwondo Poomsae Champions..